child support termination

When does child support end in Wisconsin?

When does child support end in Wisconsin?

In most cases, child support ends when the child turns 18 years old in WI. However, if the child is still attending high school or pursuing an equivalent course (GED) after they turn 18 years old, you could end up paying child support for up to 19 years. Past due child support payments (also known as arrears) are also enforceable for up to 20 years after the child turns 18 years old. Check out our easy-to-use Wisconsin child support calculator for an estimate of how much your monthly child support obligation will be. 

Past-Due Child Support Payments

If the current child support order ends (whether at age 18 or 19) and past-due child support payments are owed, payments will continue to be enforced and collected for up to 20 years after the child turns 18 years old. Until the overdue child support payments are paid in full, income withholding may continue at the same level of collection. 

Emancipation Notices

Emancipation notices are sent to both parents 90 days before the date of your child's 18th birthday. Unless a parent shows proof that the child is still attending high school or pursuing a GED equivalent, the current child support order will end when the child turns 18. If your child is turning 18 soon, contact your local child support agency to ensure that the address on file is up to date.

Frequently Asked Questions About Child Support Termination

My child is turning 18 before they graduate high school, will my child support end when they turn 18?
No. Unless your child drops out before they turn 19, you must continue to pay child support until they graduate or until they turn 19, whichever comes first.
Do I still need to pay child support if my child drops out of high school?
If your child is under the age of 18, yes you still need to pay child support. However, if your child is over the age of 18 and drops out of high school or is not pursuing an equivalent program (GED), you are not obligated to pay child support unless your child enrolls again before they turn 19.
My child is no longer living with the other parent. Do I still need to pay child support if they are living with their grandparents?
Yes, you are still obligated to pay child support until your child turns 18 years old, or 19 if they are still pursuing a high school diploma or GED. However, you may ask the courts for the grandparents to receive the child support payments, instead of the other parent.
Contact child support lawyers in Milwaukee at Divergent Law to find out how long you're on the hook for child support payments.




When marriage goes bad




Make Secure Invoice Payments Online With LawPay for Divorce Payment Wisconsin Make a Payment
Wisconsin Family Law & Divorce Attorneys:
Family Law Attorney Trisha Festerling
Trisha FesterlingAttorney
Family Law Attorney Joseph Kennedy
Joseph KennedyAttorney
Family Law Attorney Kaitlin Grasswick
Kaitlin GrasswickAttorney
Family Law Attorney Kira Visser
Kira VisserAttorney
Family Law Attorney Tom Grieve
Tom GrieveAttorney
Divergent Family Law Attorney Madeline Bitto
Madeline Bitto Attorney
Divergent Family Law Attorney Adam Kachelski
Adam KachelskiAttorney
Divergent Family Law Attorney Corey Montiho
Corey MontihoAttorney
Divergent Family Law Attorney Jeremy Chavez
Jeremy ChavezAttorney
Divergent Family Law Attorney Claire Dalle Molle
Claire Dalle MolleAttorney
Divergent Family Law Attorney Hayley Hetherington
Hayley HetheringtonAttorney
Contact Divergent Family LawDivergent Family Law phone number Divergent Family Law addressDivergent Family Law location